Thursday, March 06, 2014

The Power of Togetherness (1)

'Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!' Psalm 133:1 AMP

The word 'synergy' pictures a group of people working together in a great cause, each functioning at their highest level and enjoying it. John Wooden, former coach of the championship UCLA basketball team, said:
'During my coaching years and ever since, I have made a point of refraining from referring to the UCLA Bruins as "my team" or the individuals on it as "my players."...When asked, "How did you win the game, Coach?" I would correct the reporter and say, "I didn't win the game. The players did. Our team outscored the opponent." This may be a small issue, but it is important to me because it reflects my idea that a team is "owned" by its members. When every member of a team takes ownership, "good things happen." In celebrating victory, a wise leader always takes the accolades and passes them on to others.'
Paul regularly paid tribute to those who worked with him, acknowledging their contribution:
'Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles' (Romans 16:3-4 NKJV). 
There's no doubt that God could get the job done without you, but you can't get the job done without the help of others.

Musician George Adams said,
'We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the makeup of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.'
SoulFood: Joel 2:12-13, Matt 4:1-17, Mark 2:18-22, Luke 9:23-26 (Lent)

Written by Bob & Debby Gass
Wednesday, 05 March 2014
APPS available here