Sunday, February 09, 2014

Walking in Truth (3)

'...Put on the new self, created to be like God...' Ephesians 4:24 NIV

It's one thing to desire truth, but to pursue it 

you must 
'...Put off your old self...and...put on the new self, created to be like God...' (Ephesians 4:22-24 NIV).

One author writes: 
'We must be willing to have the conversations our "old self" would have avoided... It's not easy...it requires heavy doses of humility, and accepting that we're going to be uncomfortable... The quickest remedy is the most immediate and uncomfortable: "fessing up" in the moment.  
I tried it. At a party some women were discussing involvement in an organisation and I wanted to fit in, so I said I'd tried to get involved but could never break in... I knew I was a liar. I never had any desire to spend my time doing that...committees give me a rash!  
So, though my intent was good, my delivery was clumsy as I blurted out, "Sorry, I just lied to you. I never volunteered there and I've no desire to." 
Everyone was silent, and I was trying to recall where I left my purse so I could hightail it out of there, when miraculously everyone burst out laughing... 
No matter how uncomfortable it is...the truth sets us free. 
Pursuit of truth is like a salmon's upstream journey; we're literally going against the current...the world says truth can change based on circumstances, comparisons, new data and levels of experience. 
But ultimate truth isn't relative. 
It can't be rationalised or customised to fit our moods and preferences. 
That's why the status of our heart is so important...
when we're unable or unwilling to think our way into the truth, we must rely on the cultivation of our heart.'
Soul Food: Exo 20:13, Gen 4:8-16, Pro 18:21, Mt 5:21-22 (Commandment 6: Do not commit murder)

Written by Bob & Debby Gass
Sunday, 9 February 2014
APPS available here